www.mountaintopdaycare.com

I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. ~ Albert Einstein


www.mountaintopdaycare.com









Monday, October 17, 2011

Our Toy Store

I rotated a few toys out into the playroom today that the children haven't seen in a while. This usually sparks interest, as everything old is new again!

I placed the cash register on a small table and set out many different types of props, and waited to see what would happen.



One child showed interest right away this morning. So, I began asking a few open ended questions to help extend his play.

Our conversation went like this....

"What are you going to do with that cash register?"

"I want to have a toy store."

"OK. what kind of toys?"

"Cars. And trucks and tractors."

"How will the others know its a toy store"

"I need a sign."

"OK. Let's make a sign."


Notice the letter "a", letter "L" and the letter "u"?!
These are all letters that are familiar to him, as they are found in his name!

I was told the two straight lines are shelves.

"I need to line my stuff up to buy like at the store."


Much more conversation happened between the children, as they bought and sold.....



Counted and exchanged money....



Bagged their purchases.....



(Even the little ones helped with bagging!)



...And loaded up their cart.



We even had to call the front desk for a price check
 on a red Farmall....


(He used the price gun to make the call, problem solving at its best!)

....For a cowboy who was looking for a new tractor.



We spent a full hour at our toy store, actively engaged in literacy,
pre-writing, math, fine motor, problem solving, social skills,
 and using our creativity and imaginations all while having FUN!









No comments:

Post a Comment